HMRC telephone helpline

HMRC telephone helpline if you have any questions about your corporation tax, self assessment, VAT, PAYE and payroll compliance, tax credits and so on.

HMRC stands for HM Revenue and Customs. They are the official Tax Authority in the United Kingdom. HMRC provide dedicated telephone helpline for specific tax related subject matters to help businesses and companies to deal with their tax matters efficiently.

Ensure you dial the correct numbers to avoid being transferred from department to department to reach the right person to speak to.

For general help, you may tweet with @HMRCcustomers.

HMRC department contact details

HMRC DepartmentTel Helpline
Self Assessment general enquiriesTelephone:
0300 200 3310
0300 200 3319
Outside UK:
+44 161 931 9070

Self Assessment
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom
Tax credits general enquiriesTelephone:
0345 300 3900
0345 300 3909
Outside UK:
+44 02890 538 192

Complaints or change of circumstances
Tax Credit Office
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

New tax credit claims
Tax Credit Claims
HM Revenue and Customs
Child benefit general enquiriesTelephone:
0300 200 3100
0300 200 3103
Outside UK:
+44 161 210 3086

HM Revenue and Customs
Child Benefit Office
PO Box 1
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE88 1AA
United Kingdom
Income tax general enquiries and Marriage AllowanceTelephone:
0300 200 3300
0300 200 3319
Outside UK:
+44 135 535 9022

Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment
HM Revenue an Customs
United Kingdom
National Insurance general enquiriesTelephone:
0300 200 3500
0300 200 3519
Outside UK:
44 191 203 7010

PT Operations North East England
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom
Employers general enquiriesTelephone:
0300 200 3200
0300 200 3212
Outside UK:
+44 151 268 0558
03000 523 030

PT Operations North East England
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom
VAT general enquiriesTelephone:
0300 200 3700
0300 200 3719
Outside UK:
+44 2920 501 261

HM Revenue and Customs
VAT Written Enquiries Team
Portcullis House
21 India Street
G2 4PZ
United Kingdom
Construction Industry Scheme general enquiriesTelephone:
0300 200 3210
0300 200 3219
Outside UK:
+44 161 930 8706

PT Operations North East England
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

Courier documents to HMRC

Lastly, if you are going to use a courier service to deliver your documents to HMRC with PO Box and BX postcodes.

Please use the address below instead:

HM Revenue and Customs
Benton Park View
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ
United Kingdom

HMRC online service

Broadly, HMRC has dedicated technical support helpline to help with any filing problems you face.

If you have any technical issues please call 0300 200 3600. The number for textphone is 0300 200 3603. If you are calling from outside the United Kingdom call +44 161 930 8445.

How to pay HMRC

There are many ways you can pay HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). Ensure your payment reach HMRC on time to avoid interest on late payment.

Universally, you have to pay HMRC for your self assessment tax, income tax, stamp duty, corporation tax, Value Added Tax (VAT), pay as you earn (PAYE), national insurance contributions (NIC) and late filing penalty.

How to pay HMRC using the following payment methods.

By debit card or credit card

Go to

Telephone or Internet banking

You may contact your own bank and provide the banker with the HMRC bank details:

  • Tax amount due
  • Sort code: 08-32-10
  • Account number 12001020
  • Account name: HMRC

Remember to provide the reference as shown on the HMRC payslip, for example, if you are paying for corporation tax please provide the 10 digits unique tax reference numbers. This allows HMRC to allocate the payment to your accounts.

Direct Debit

Go to to setup a direct debit payment. You must register for HMRC online services before you can setup direct debit payment. Register for HMRC online services are quick and easy and secure.

For example, you may like to setup direct debit if your business is registered for VAT so that HMRC can automatically take the VAT payment due or refund VAT every quarter from/to your business accounts based on the VAT return you submitted. Your accountants can set this up for you.

Post office

Take the HMRC payment slip to any participating Post Office. You may pay by debit card or by cheque. If paying by cheque, please make your cheque payable to Post Office LTD.

Pay by Cheque

If you would like to pay by cheque, please make your cheque payable to HM REVENUE & CUSTOMS ONLY and remember to include your payslip.

Please ensure you affix a correct stamp on your envelop.

Pay late filing penalty

Pay late filing penalty is a must unless you intend to appeal against it and that your circumstance is exceptional. Generally, your company receive a late filing penalty because your accounts were submitted late, even just by one day. Thus, you must pay the penalty.

Usually, Companies House issue late filing penalty invoice after they received your accounts. Ordinarily, the invoice would be sent to your registered office address. If you wish to clarify your late filing penalty invoice, you may contact Companies House.

Universally, your company may pay your late filing penalty by number of methods acceptable with Companies House.

Pay late filing penalty by Cheque

Firstly, if you are to pay for the penalty by cheque, please write the cheque payable to Companies House. Thereafter, you have to send the cheque to the correct Companies House offices.

For example, for companies registered in England and Wales, and Northern Ireland, your cheque must be sent to Cardiff office.

Companies House Cardiff
P O Box 710
Crown Way
CF14 3UZ

whereas, for companies registered in Scotland, the payment must be sent to Edinburg office.

Companies House Edinburg
4th Floor
Edinburg Quay 2
139 Fountainbridge

Also, please write your company registration number and company name on the back of your cheque. Then, send your cheque together with the remittance slip to the Companies House. Job done and that’s all you need to do.

Pay by bank transfer, BACS, internet transfer

Otherwise, you may pay your late filing penalty by bank transfer. Companies House bank details are as follows:

Account name:Late filing penalties receipts
Account no:41005309
Bank address:National Westminster Bank, Roath, Cardiff
Sort code:52 21 07
Swift code (for overseas payments):NW BK GB 2122X
IBAN: GB34NWBK52210741005309

Remember to email the bank payment details to providing your company name and number to expedite the settlement.

If you require help with your company accounts, our accountants would be able to assist you and take care of your company accounts and filing for you. Feel free to contact us.

Contact Companies House

Contact Companies House if you have any questions about incorporation and Companies House filings. They are the governing body for businesses trading as companies and partnerships in the United Kingdom. Broadly, they administers and maintains public records of private and public limited companies. They also administer statutory filing of limited liabilities partnerships.

Generally, all your companies and partnerships legal filings must comply with the Companies Act 2006.

Companies House’s contact details are as follows:

Contact centre : 03031234500
Mini-com: 02920381245

Companies House Cardiff

Crown way
CF14 3UZ

Companies House Edinburgh

Fourth Floor
Edinburgh Quay 2
139 Fountainbridge

Companies House London

4 Abbey Orchard Street
Westminster London

Companies House Northern Ireland

Second floor
The Linenhall
32-38 Linenhall street

Your company and limited liability partnership must submit the following documents to the Registrar of Companies and HM Revenue and Customs every year. This includes dormant company and non-trading company.

Feel free to contact Companies House or Concise Accountants, if you have any questions about UK statutory filings..

Subscribe to our Blog

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 10 other subscribers.

Concise Accountancy

Registered as auditors in the United Kingdom by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants. Company no. 06781243. VAT no. GB 970543023. Registered office at 85 Great Portland Street London W1W 7LT United Kingdom.

© 2019 Concise Accountancy - All Rights Reserved