Restore or setup new company

Restore or setup new company options are available if you would like to keep the name of your company that has been struck off by Companies House.

Companies House actively removes company with long overdue Confirmation Statement and company accounts. It is your company director’s responsibility to make sure your company’s filings are up to date with Companies House.

Company’s registered office

Companies House would have sent multiple reminders to your company’s registered office address when your company’s confirmation statement or company accounts are overdue. The proposal to strike off would be published in the Gazette if there is still no response from you and your company be struck off eventually after couple of months.

Therefore it is very important that you keep your company’s registered office up to date and make sure mails sent to that address able to reach you.

Difference between restore or setup new company

The main differences to restore or setup new company are tabulated below:

CompanyRestoreSetup new
Company namesame nameCan be same name
Company registration numberExistingNew
Company’s filing historyContinuedStart new

Which option is suitable for you is dependent on your business objectives.

Setup new company with the same name

Generally speaking, setup new company is often more affordable than restoring your dissolved company. If your aim is just to keep the company name and the company holds no assets and never traded before then setup new company may be the best option for you if cost is your main consideration.

Restore dissolved company

On the other hand, restore your company would be your only option if your dissolved company have been actively trading, holds assets or have contracts under its name. The reasons your company was dissolved was due to overdue company accounts or confirmation statement.

For example, if you have legally binding contracts under your dissolved company name, you must restore your dissolved company because if there is any disputes in court, new company with the same name is not exactly the same contracting party because the company registration number has changed and the company is technical a new entity and separate to your dissolved company.

Voluntary strike off

Take note that if you have voluntarily applied to strike off your company previously, you would not be able to restore your company through administrative restoration. You must apply to court.

Restore dissolved company

The Companies Act 2006 has brought in a new provision for limited company to restore a dissolved company through administrative restoration. This is simplified method of restoring a dissolved limited company without having to go through a court. The cost of administrative restoration is affordable than going through Court restoration process.

Administrative restoration is only possible if your limited company had not previously applied for voluntary strike off and your limited company was struck off for less than 6 years and you were in business at the time of your company being dissolved.

Documents required to restore your company

You would have to bring your company filings up to date when administrative restoration application with Companies House.

The filings include the following documents.

  • Confirmation statement (replaces the annual return).
  • Company accounts.
  • Companies House restoration form.
  • Waiver letter.
  • Statutory filing fees payable to Companies House for the above mentioned submissions.

Feel free to contact us if you require assistance in restoring your dissolved company.

Avoid your company being dissolved

  • Ensure that you are able to access mails sent to your company’s registered office address. Companies House will strike off your company where mails sent to your registered office were returned to Companies House repeatedly.
  • Ensure you submit your confirmation statement on time.
  • Ensure your company account is delivered to Companies House on time. This including dormant company and non- trading company accounts.

Subscribe to our Blog

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 10 other subscribers.

Concise Accountancy

Registered as auditors in the United Kingdom by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants. Company no. 06781243. VAT no. GB 970543023. Registered office at 85 Great Portland Street London W1W 7LT United Kingdom.

© 2019 Concise Accountancy - All Rights Reserved