Customer Login | Search This Site:   Go  

What we do Register a company Company accounts Abbreviated accounts Types of business taxes Person with Significant Control for Limited Company Paying staff and PAYE Apply VAT numbers Check VAT numbers Fixed fee accounts About us Careers
Latest UK Business News : Trade truths for May?s vision of a ?Global Britain?      UK housing stock value soars to a record £6.8tn      Pension penalty on grandparents       Consultant McKinsey agrees new London HQ      May warns UK will walk away from ?bad deal?      

Stamp duty on shares


Buy shares for more than £1000

If you buy company shares (also known as stocks) for the consideration of more than £1000, stamp duty of 0.5 per cent is payable to UK tax office, the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

Consideration referred to above can be in cash, other stock or shares or debt.

The procedure is to send the stock transfer form to HMRC for stamping together with the stamp duty payable. See below on how to calculate stamp duty payable to HMRC.

How to calculate stamp duty

You pay stamp duty on the amount paid for the shares transfers at the rate of 0.5 per cent, rounded up to the nearest £5 on each document to be stamped by HMRC.


Good Luck Company Limited

Mr. Luck bought 100 shares from Mr. Good for £2350. The stamp duty payable is £2350 x 0.5 per cent  = £11.75 and rounded up to the nearest £5, the stamp duty payable is £15.

Buy shares less than £1000

No stamp duty is payable if you buy shares for less than £1000 and you do not require to send the stock transfers form to HMRC for stamping.

In this situation, you have to do the following:
Complete the first exemption certificate on the back of the stock transfer form. You do not require filling in this certificate if you do not pay anything for the shares.

if your shares transfers was agreed or signed before 13 March 2008, it will need to be stamped by HMRC and stamp duty is payable as per buying shares for more than £1000.

The changes of shares ownership must also be communicated with Companies House and it can be done by filing annual return with the updated shareholders information.

Feel free to contact Concise accountants if you require help on UK company shares transfers matters.


Stamp duty reliefs available for consideration you give for the shares which considered not chargeable. Visit for more details.

Lastly ensure the details printed on your share certificate are correct.

Concise Accountancy – Making company shares transfers simple for businesses

Email This Page  Print This Page

Managing your company - your time is gold dust
When To File Annual Return Accounting In Business Add Value To Business Administer Ltd Company Changes Apply VAT numbers Balance Sheet Benefits of having accountants Bookkeeping software Business Fraud Prevention Business Plan For Bankers Business Services For Limited Companies Business Website Directories Buy from EU Cash Flow Within Your Business Cash from Customers Check VAT numbers Choosing an auditor Choosing bookkeeping software Company accounts filing deadlines Company Director’s Responsibilities Company registers Completing Annual Return Corporation Tax Corporation tax rates Customer Service - Telephone Techniques Data Protection Deducting PAYE Default fines Depreciation of business assets Finance Your Business Financing Your Business Handling Business Cash & Monies Hire New Staff HMRC Online Filing HMRC Telephone Helpline International Business Information Maintain your limited company Minimum Wage UK Minutes of meetings New Companies House Forms Non-deductible Business Expenses Non-deductible input tax Ownership Of Books And Records Paperless Office Partnership/LLP Tax Pay HMRC Pay limited company late filing penalty Paying staff and PAYE Payslip For Employees Penalty Interest Rates People You Do Business With Petty Cash Pre-Trading Expense Ready Made Companies Recording sales transactions Recovering Debts Recycling Register a company Register A Company Restoring Dissolved Company Shortage of cash crisis Signing UK Company Accounts – Who Can Sign? Single Alternative Inspection Location - SAIL Small And Medium Sized Company Thresholds Staff Disciplinary Procedures Staff Legal Entitlements Surplus/Idle Business Assets For Cash Tax Services The Law On Company Accounts The Permanent file Treat Your Staff Right Types of business taxes Types of limited company accounts Use Own Cash For Business Using Excel For Bookkeeping VAT Annual Accounting Scheme VAT Cash Accounting Scheme VAT Flat Rate Scheme VAT Rates VAT Records VAT Return Online Voluntary strike off company What Happens If My Dormant Company Starts Trading? What is a dormant company? What is annual return? Where Should I Send VAT Application To? Widely used accounting terms Work From Home Working Out Income Tax Annual Return Services Business VAT Registration Service Change Accounts Year End Company Name Change Company Tax Return Dissolve Company Dormant Accounts Package Express Company Name Change Update Director Details