Customer Login | Search This Site:   Go  

What we do Register a company Company accounts Abbreviated accounts Types of business taxes Person with Significant Control for Limited Company Paying staff and PAYE Apply VAT numbers Check VAT numbers Fixed fee accounts About us Careers
Latest UK Business News : Trade truths for May?s vision of a ?Global Britain?      UK housing stock value soars to a record £6.8tn      Pension penalty on grandparents       Consultant McKinsey agrees new London HQ      May warns UK will walk away from ?bad deal?      

Types of business taxes


Employment income tax

If you are an employee of a company, your salary income will be taxed under the Pay As You Go (PAYE) scheme and you pay tax every month. It is your employer’s responsibility to deduct the correct amount of income tax and National insurance contribution from your pay. Your employer will also be responsible for preparing relevant forms such as P60, P45, P11D and P14 and submit to HMRC about your employment income.

Sole Proprietors (self employed) and partnerships income tax

If you are in business as a sole trader, you will pay tax on your business profits for the accounting year ending in the tax year by three installments: first payment on 31 January and the next payment on 31 July and with the final payment on 31 January on the subsequent year.

You must file your self assessment return to HMRC before or on 31 January. Any tax overpaid for the accounting year will be refunded by HMRC.

Partner in a partnership will be assessed the same way as sole trader for income tax purposes.

Limited company tax

Your company is obliged to pay corporation tax on its profits nine months after its accounting year end and submit their company tax return 12 months after the accounting year end with HM Revenue and Customs confirming the final amount of tax liability payable or refundable. Your local tax office will assess the corporation tax return and issue a statement confirming your company tax liability.

Interest penalty will be levied on unpaid tax.

Value Added Tax (VAT)

If your company or sole trading business or partnership is registered for VAT. You must be aware of the VAT accounting rules and report your VAT payable or refundable by submitting your VAT returns with HM Revenue and Customs on quarterly or yearly basis.

Seek Professional Help

It is highly recommended to speak with your accountants about each type of British business taxes and how it would affect you and your business. If you are trading internationally, it would be good idea to get advice from international tax specialist.

Concise Accountancy - Helping businesses understand their tax affairs

Email This Page  Print This Page

Managing your company - your time is gold dust
When To File Annual Return Accounting In Business Add Value To Business Administer Ltd Company Changes Apply VAT numbers Balance Sheet Benefits of having accountants Bookkeeping software Business Fraud Prevention Business Plan For Bankers Business Services For Limited Companies Business Website Directories Buy from EU Cash Flow Within Your Business Cash from Customers Check VAT numbers Choosing an auditor Choosing bookkeeping software Company accounts filing deadlines Company Director’s Responsibilities Company registers Completing Annual Return Corporation Tax Corporation tax rates Customer Service - Telephone Techniques Data Protection Deducting PAYE Default fines Depreciation of business assets Finance Your Business Financing Your Business Handling Business Cash & Monies Hire New Staff HMRC Online Filing HMRC Telephone Helpline International Business Information Maintain your limited company Minimum Wage UK Minutes of meetings New Companies House Forms Non-deductible Business Expenses Non-deductible input tax Ownership Of Books And Records Paperless Office Partnership/LLP Tax Pay HMRC Pay limited company late filing penalty Paying staff and PAYE Payslip For Employees Penalty Interest Rates People You Do Business With Petty Cash Pre-Trading Expense Ready Made Companies Recording sales transactions Recovering Debts Recycling Register a company Register A Company Restoring Dissolved Company Shortage of cash crisis Signing UK Company Accounts – Who Can Sign? Single Alternative Inspection Location - SAIL Small And Medium Sized Company Thresholds Staff Disciplinary Procedures Staff Legal Entitlements Surplus/Idle Business Assets For Cash Tax Services The Law On Company Accounts The Permanent file Treat Your Staff Right Types of business taxes Types of limited company accounts Use Own Cash For Business Using Excel For Bookkeeping VAT Annual Accounting Scheme VAT Cash Accounting Scheme VAT Flat Rate Scheme VAT Rates VAT Records VAT Return Online Voluntary strike off company What Happens If My Dormant Company Starts Trading? What is a dormant company? What is annual return? Where Should I Send VAT Application To? Widely used accounting terms Work From Home Working Out Income Tax Annual Return Services Business VAT Registration Service Change Accounts Year End Company Name Change Company Tax Return Dissolve Company Dormant Accounts Package Express Company Name Change Update Director Details